Learn the skills and tools it takes to lead and inspire others.
The Leadership Institute offers students an outlet for enhancing their ability to inspire and influence people in reaching a collective goal before they begin their collegiate careers. Personal growth, exploration and reflection promote students who will be prepared to make a difference in their communities and create positive change in the world.
At a Glance
Dates: July 25 – 30
Who Can Apply?: 9th – 12th grade students
Program Length: Sunday – Friday
Program Tuition: $2,500
Location: Winston-Salem, NC – Wake Forest University Campus
Day or Overnight Program: Overnight
*Courses carry no secondary school or college credit. Upon completion of the program, an official Wake Forest University certificate of achievement will be awarded to all Leadership Institute participants.
What You’ll Experience
- Relationship Development, Self and Social Awareness, and Team Dynamics
- Personal Brand Management and Communication
- Understanding Failure Tolerance and How to Build Resilience
- Cultural Awareness, Diversity, and Equity
- Professional Presence and Etiquette
- Participate in team-building by challenging yourself and leading your peers
- Work with Wake Forest faculty to develop your personal leadership skills
- Visit with community leaders from corporations, government agencies and nonprofit organizations to glean leadership lessons in practice
- Serve with local nonprofit organizations
- Develop your resume and discover your strengths
*Hands-on experiences are subject to change.
Leadership Institute Cost
Winston-Salem (Overnight) | $2,500
A Day in the Life
- 8:00 am – Morning Meeting and Breakfast
- 9:00 am – Welcome and Program Introduction
- 9:30 am – Workshop: Managing Your Personal Brand
- 10:30 am – Guest Speaker: Impact of Leadership Locally and Globally
- 11:00 am – Team Building Scavenger Hunt
- 11:30 am – Motivation Session: How Do You Motivate Yourself and Others?
- 12:00 pm – Workshop: Team Dynamics and Motivation
- 1:00 pm – Breaking Boundaries – Team Building and Conflict Management Exercise
- 2:00 pm – Job Shadow
- 4:30 pm – Debrief for the Next Day
- 5:30 pm – Etiquette Dinner
- 6:30 pm – Evening Activities
- 7:30 pm – Free Time
- 9:00 pm – Prepare for Bed
- 10:00 pm – Lights Out
*The “A Day in the Life” sample schedule is subject to change.
Meet Your Academic Leader
Heidi Robinson, MA, LPCA, NCC
Academic Leader, Leadership Institute
Heidi Robinson is the Assistant Vice-President for Career Education and an Associate Professor of the Practice in the Department of Education, where she teaches and directs the College to Career series of courses. She was hired in 2010 to develop the four-course series and redesign one existing course. During her time at Wake Forest University, she has been nominated and completed the Leadership Development Program, been designated an ACE Scholar for her work in service learning and received the North Carolina Counseling Development New Professional Award. She was nominated by students and inducted into membership in Omicron Delta Kappa, a national leadership honor society. She conducts service work with student athletes, leading professional development for men’s and women’s basketball, football, women’s golf and Student-Athlete Career Development Night. She also serves in a leadership role in the Office of Personal and Career Development.