Learn the skills and tools it takes to lead and inspire.
The Wake Forest Summer Immersion Leadership Institute is an unforgettable experience for high school students. The Leadership Institute offers students an outlet for enhancing their ability to inspire and influence people in reaching a collective goal before they begin their collegiate careers. Personal growth, exploration and reflection promote students who will be prepared to make a difference in their communities and create positive change in the world.
At a Glance
Program Length: Sunday – Friday
Who Can Apply?: Current 9th – 12th grade students
Location: Winston-Salem, NC – Wake Forest University Campus
Online Immersion Program: Study online with Wake Forest anywhere, anytime, at your own pace.
*Courses carry no secondary school or college credit. Upon completion of the program, an official Wake Forest University Certificate of Completion will be awarded to all Leadership Institute participants.
What You’ll Experience
- Relationship Development, Self and Social Awareness, and Team Dynamics
- Personal Brand Management and Communication
- Understanding Failure Tolerance and How to Build Resilience
- Cultural Awareness, Diversity, and Equity
- Professional Presence and Etiquette
- Participate in team-building by challenging yourself and leading your peers
- Work with Wake Forest faculty to develop your personal leadership skills
- Visit with community leaders from corporations, government agencies and nonprofit organizations to glean leadership lessons in practice
- Serve with local nonprofit organizations
- Develop your resume and discover your strengths
*Hands-on experiences are subject to change.
A Day in the Life
Typical Daily Schedule
- 8:00 am – Morning Meeting and Breakfast
- 9:00 am – Welcome and Program Introduction
- 9:30 am – Workshop: Managing Your Personal Brand
- 10:30 am – Guest Speaker: Impact of Leadership Locally and Globally
- 11:00 am – Team Building Scavenger Hunt
- 11:30 am – Motivation Session: How Do You Motivate Yourself and Others?
- 12:00 pm – Workshop: Team Dynamics and Motivation
- 1:00 pm – Breaking Boundaries – Team Building and Conflict Management Exercise
- 2:00 pm – Job Shadow
- 4:30 pm – Debrief for the Next Day
- 5:30 pm – Etiquette Dinner
- 6:30 pm – Evening Activities
- 7:30 pm – Free Time
- 9:00 pm – Prepare for Bed
- 10:00 pm – Lights Out
*The “A Day in the Life” sample schedule is subject to change.
Meet the Academic Leader
Marcus Sanderlin, MA
Academic Leader, Leadership Institute
Marcus Sanderlin serves as the Senior Associate Director of Career Education for the Wake Forest University School of Business Market Readiness and Employment team. With a passion for empowering students to pursue meaningful careers, he challenges students to explore the “why” behind their “what” as they build lives and careers centered around their sense of purpose. His work spans from coaching college students through career navigation and professional development to educating college leaders and community members on strategies for life design and career advancement. He currently oversees career support for the Business Enterprise Management majors, along with driving efforts around diversity and student engagement within the School of Business and beyond. As a motivator, educator, and career coach, Marcus Sanderlin strives to serve as an advocate for holistic professional development and strategic occupational elevation.