Learn about Finance and Investing!
Money that does not make money, is a waste of money.
Get ahead of the game. Learn and experience how investing works. Dive into the world of investments – stocks, bonds, and mutual funds/exchange-traded funds (ETFs). Explore popular investing approaches, techniques, and strategies to confidently learn how fundamental analysis plays a role in valuation. Meet and collaborate with Wake Forest School of Business faculty and industry experts to get a glimpse of finance and investing from the collegiate level to the professional world. Confidently pitch prospective investments, refine public speaking skills, and build your investment portfolio to capitalize on your future!
At a Glance
2023 Dates: June 11-16 or June 25-30
Program Length: Sunday – Friday
Who Can Apply?: Current 9th – 12th grade students
Overnight Tuition: $2,800
Location: Winston-Salem, NC – Wake Forest University Campus
Overnight or Day: Overnight Program
*Courses carry no secondary school or college credit. Upon completion of the program, an official Wake Forest University Certificate of Completion will be awarded to all Finance and Investing Institute participants.
What You’ll Experience
- How the Stock Market Works
- Market Analysis
- Benefits and Risks of Investing
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Power of Compounding and the Time Value of Money
- Visit financial institutions and trading floors
- Learn from faculty and financial leaders
- Tour companies and businesses
- Create your own portfolio
- Participate in a mock investment competition
*Hands-on experiences are subject to change.
Finance and Investing Institute Cost
Overnight | $2,800
A Day in the Life
- 8:00 am – Morning Meeting and Breakfast
- 9:00 am – Welcome and Program Introduction by Academic Leader
- 9:30 am – What is Finance?
- 10:00 am – Travel to Charlotte and Visit Trading Floor
- 12:00 pm – Lunch
- 1:00 pm – Workshop: Introduction to Investing
- 2:00 pm – Buying and Selling Stocks and Bonds
- 3:30 pm – ‘How to Pick a Stock’ Group Project
- 4:00 pm – Debrief
- 5:00 pm – Dinner
- 6:30 pm – Evening Activities
- 7:30 pm – Free Time
- 9:00 pm – Prepare for Bed
- 10:00 pm – Lights Out
*The “A Day in the Life” sample schedule is subject to change.
Meet Your Academic Leader
Dr. Stephan Shipe
Academic Leader, Finance and Investing Institute
Stephan Shipe is a finance faculty member at Wake Forest University. He has a Ph.D. in Finance from Florida State University with a support area in Econometrics and is a CFA Charterholder. Professor Shipe has written articles and analyzed data related to investor behavior, consumer financial protection, investment advisor disclosures, and executive compensation. He teaches courses in financial quantitative analysis, risk analysis, and financial data analytics. His research has led him to work with regulators on new laws related to investment advisor disclosures and to own his own investment advisory firm.