Debate and Public Advocacy Institute
Speak up. Speak out. Make a statement. Build your confidence and skills; become arguably the best you can be.
Spend one week this summer at Wake Forest University building confidence speaking, arguing, and learning to passionately advocate for yourself and others. Students will engage in discussions about current events and learn skills such as persuasion, legal reasoning, and the art of communication. Whether in the classroom, the boardroom, in your community, or the halls of Congress, students will enjoy applying advocacy skills in whichever environment their future takes them.
At a Glance
Dates: Check back November 1, 2021 for on-campus dates for Summer 2022.
Who Can Apply?: 9th – 12th grade students
Program Length: Sunday – Friday
Program Tuition: $2,500
Location: Winston-Salem, NC – Wake Forest University Campus
Day or Overnight Program: Overnight
*Courses carry no secondary school or college credit. Upon completion of the program, an official Wake Forest University certificate of achievement will be awarded to all Debate and Public Advocacy Institute participants.
What You’ll Experience
- Fundamentals of Argument
- Rhetorical Tricks
- Finding Your Voice
- Social and Environmental Controversies
- “Greatest” Debaters and Speakers
- Engage with Guest Speakers from Business, Politics, Advertising and Community Organizations
- Practice Speaking for Self-Empowerment
- Compete in Debates on Student-Driven Topics
- Participate in Candid, Live Discussions about Timely Topics with Peers
- Learn Preparation Strategies for Your Next Debate
*Hands-on experiences are subject to change.
Debate and Public Advocacy Institute Cost
Winston-Salem (Overnight) | $2,500
A Day in the Life
- 8:00 am – Morning Meeting and Breakfast
- 9:00 am – Welcome from Justin Green and Program Ambassadors
- 9:30 am – Mechanics of Speaking
- 10:30 am – Advocacy Group Guest Speaker
- 12:00 pm – Lunch
- 1:00 pm – Great Speeches throughout Time
- 2:00 pm – Debate Preparation
- 5:00 pm – Debrief for Next Day
- 5:30 pm – Dinner
- 6:30 pm – Evening Activities
- 7:30 pm – Free Time
- 9:00 pm – Prepare for Bed
- 10:00 pm – Lights Out
*The “A Day in the Life” sample schedule is subject to change.
Meet Your Academic Leader
Academic Leader, Debate and Public Advocacy
Justin Green currently serves as the Head Coach for the Wake Forest Debate team and Professor of the Practice in Communication Studies. A secondary teacher by training and a debate and speaking coach by practice, Justin has combined these efforts to lead several workshops for students and teachers ranging from grades 3-16. He has coached the American Debate Association and Cross-Examination Debate Association National Champions as well as the four-time champion coach of the ACC. He is known for immense energy and an active classroom where students do more talking than “being quiet”. A graduate of Wake Forest University, Justin is excited to extend the campus to new guests each summer.