Learn the skills and tools it takes to lead and inspire others.
The Leadership Institute offers students an outlet for enhancing their ability to inspire and influence people in reaching a collective goal before they begin their collegiate careers. Personal growth, exploration and reflection promote students who will be prepared to make a difference in their communities and create positive change in the world.
*The above content is representative of the Summer Immersion Program on-campus experience.
At a Glance
Dates: June 29 – July 2, 2020 or July 6 – 9, 2020
*Both weeks of the Online Leadership Institute are closed for registration.
Eligibility: Rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors in high school and incoming college freshmen
Program Length: 4-day sessions (Mon. – Thurs.)
Daily Hours: 1:00 – 4:30 PM
Program Tuition: $700
*Courses carry no secondary school or college credit. Upon completion of the program, an official Wake Forest University certificate of achievement will be awarded to all Leadership Institute participants.
What You’ll Experience
- Relationship management, self and social awareness, and team dynamics
- Learn to be comfortable with being uncomfortable
- Personal brand management
- Understanding failure tolerance and how to manage and learn from failure
- Cultural awareness, diversity and inclusion
- Professional presence and etiquette
- Participate in team-building by challenging yourself and leading your peers
- Work with Wake Forest faculty to develop your personal leadership skills
- Hear from community leaders from corporations, government agencies and nonprofit organizations to glean leadership lessons in practice
- Exposure to and application of motivation and leadership techniques
*Virtual experiences are subject to change.
Leadership Institute Costs:
Online | $700
A Day in the Life
- 1:00 PM – Sign-on
- 1:05 PM – Norms surrounding online learning
- 1:10 PM – Deacon Dive In- Welcome to Wake Forest University!
- 1:15 PM – Online Icebreaker – Get to Know Our Cohort
- 1:30 PM – Welcome from Academic Leader- Professor Heidi Robinson
- 1:40 PM – Session 1 Topic: Discover the Leader Within
- 2:10 PM – Session 1: Q and A
- 2:25 PM – Break
- 2:30 PM – Session 2 Topic: Leadership Panel
- 3:00 PM – Session 2 – Q&A
- 3:15 PM – Academic Leader Daily Challenge, Whole Group Discussion – Polls, Q&A
- 3:30 PM – Deacon Discussion- Wake Forest Student Mentors, Q&A
- 4:30 PM – Wrap Up from Academic Leader
*This “A Day in the Life” sample schedule is subject to change.
Dates for Summer 2021 will be announced on November 1, 2020.
Heidi Robinson, MA, LPCA, NCC
Academic Leader, Leadership Institute
Heidi Robinson is the Assistant Vice-President for Career Education and an Associate Professor of the Practice in the Department of Education, where she teaches and directs the College to Career series of courses. She was hired in 2010 to develop the four-course series and redesign one existing course. During her time at Wake Forest University, she has been nominated and completed the Leadership Development Program, been designated an ACE Scholar for her work in service learning and received the North Carolina Counseling Development New Professional Award. She was nominated by students and inducted into membership in Omicron Delta Kappa, a national leadership honor society. She conducts service work with student athletes, leading professional development for men’s and women’s basketball, football, women’s golf and Student-Athlete Career Development Night. She also serves in a leadership role in the Office of Personal and Career Development.