Debate and Public Advocacy Institute
Speak up. Speak out. Build your confidence and skills; be your best advocate.
Spend one week this summer with Wake Forest building confidence speaking, arguing, and learning to passionately advocate. Students will engage in active learning around topics they find interesting. A combination of speaking, videos, debating, guest speakers, researching, and plenty of time conversing provide students with the skills and experience to become better communicators. Whether in the classroom, the boardroom, or the halls of Congress, students will enjoy applying advocacy skills in whatever environment their future takes them.
*The above content is representative of the Summer Immersion Program on-campus experience.
At a Glance
Dates: June 22 – 25, 2020
*The Online Debate and Public Advocacy Institute is closed for registration.
Eligibility: Rising sophomores, juniors and seniors in high school and incoming college freshmen
Program Length: 4-day sessions (Mon. – Thurs.)
Daily Hours: 1:00 – 4:30 PM (EST)
Program Tuition: $700
*Courses carry no secondary school or college credit. Upon completion of the program, an official Wake Forest University certificate of achievement will be awarded to all Debate and Public Advocacy Institute participants.
What You’ll Experience
- Fundamentals of Argument
- Rhetorical Tricks
- Finding Your Voice
- Social and Environmental Controversies
- Making Your Case
- “Greatest” Debaters and Speakers
- Exposure to guest speakers from business, politics, advertising and community organizations
- Practice speaking for self-empowerment
- Compete in debates on student-driven topics
- Participate in candid, live discussions about timely topics with peers
*Virtual experiences are subject to change.
Debate and Public Advocacy Institute Costs:
Online | $700
A Day in the Life
- 1:00 PM – Sign-on
- 1:05 PM – Norms surrounding online learning
- 1:10 PM – Deacon Dive In- Welcome to Wake Forest University!
- 1:15 PM – Online Icebreaker – Get to Know Our Cohort
- 1:30 PM – Welcome from Academic Leader- Professor Justin Green
- 1:40 PM – Session 1 Topic: Debate 101
- 2:10 PM – Session 1: Q and A
- 2:25 PM – Break
- 2:30 PM – Session 2 Topic: Finding Your Voice
- 3:00 PM – Session 2 – Q&A
- 3:15 PM – Academic Leader Daily Challenge, Whole Group Discussion – Polls, Q&A
- 3:30 PM – Deacon Discussion- Wake Forest Student Mentors, Q&A
- 4:30 PM – Wrap Up from Academic Leader
*Schedule subject to change
Dates for Summer 2021 will be announced on November 1, 2020.
Academic Leader, Debate and Public Advocacy
Justin Green currently serves as the Head Coach for the Wake Forest Debate team and Professor of the Practice in Communication Studies. A secondary teacher by training and a debate and speaking coach by practice, Justin has combined these efforts to lead several workshops to students and teachers ranging from grades 3-16. He has coached American Debate Association and Cross Examination Debate Association National Champions as well as three-time back-to-back champions of the ACC. He is known for immense energy and an active classroom where students do more talking than “being quiet”. A graduate of Wake Forest University, Justin is excited to extend the campus to new guests each summer.